You woke up this morning feeling like sh$t. Soreness in your jaw, aches in your body, congestion in your head, coughing and all types of not feeling cute. You’re coming down with a cold, girlfriend. Slow down your breathing and relax your mind. I have one solution. I recommend you do yoga when sick so you can start feeling better.
Why Do Yoga When Sick?
Why do yoga when you are sick? Because doing yoga while sick helps you slow down and listen to your body’s needs while providing relief to your tight muscles and achy body. When I start getting sick I feel powerless over my body. Yoga helps me take back my control while loving on my sick body.
Should You Do You Yoga When Sick?
Yes, definitely. If you do yoga while sick, you’ll give your body relief. I do hot yoga while sick because it gives me the opportunity do my best, while not feeling my best. If you work at it, and stretch through the aches with intention, you’ll enjoy relief while feeling sick. Just remember not to spread your germs at the studio!
Doing Yoga While Sick: Before, During & After-Care
I’m all about getting on my mat, both when healthy and when doing yoga while sick. This is why I make sure to wipe down my mat, especially when I feel like I may be coming down with a cold. Aside from washing my hands, I use hand-sanitizer and anti-bacterial mat-cleaner so I don’t spread (or yoga in) my germs. I recommend you do, too.
Sanitize Your Mat After You Do Yoga While Sick
Do you have yoga mat cleaner? You should.
Don’t spread your germs: yoga mat cleaner disinfects your mat of bacteria. Use an essential oil cleaner like Saucha’s Natural Yoga Mat Cleaner (with free cleanning cloth) so you can breath your way to feeling better. After all, lavender-scented cleaners ease tension. Plus, has a fast-drying formula for quick cleaning.
If you decide to do yoga when sick, try out this sequence.
It comes with major self-healing benefits to help your feel better sooner.
- Child’s Pose (balasana): Quiet your mind and do yoga when you are sick to reduce tension and aches from your shoulders and lower back.
- Downward Facing Dog: Transitioning posture.
- Fixed Firm (supta virasana): Open your respiratory system (upper lungs, bronchial tubes, and the throat) and relieve pressure in your head from sinus problems.
- Tabletop: Transitioning posture.
- Table Top With Left/Right Leg Extensions: Counter-Stretch to Fixed Firm
- Ragdoll: Release a fresh batch of oxygen-rich blood to your brain and revitalize your nervous system with ragdoll.
- Tabletop: Transitioning posture.
- Seat Angle Pose (upavishta konasana): Should you do yoga when sick? If you want to calm your mental agitation (aka big baby feelings), relieve your headache and reduce your insomnia, you should.
- Goddess Pose (supta baddha konasana): Sick while on your period? This posture is great for doing yoga while sick.
Use Props to Speed Up Your Recovery
I use props like blocks and straps during my practice and after for after-care management. Here are some props I recommend you try because they’ve work for me and I know how great they make me feel. You may not feel your best, but these will help you do your best!
Remember to wipe down your props, too. I love the plant-based cleaners like Saucha Essential Oils Based Lavender Bliss Yoga Mat Cleaner Spray that comes with a Free Microfiber Cleaning Cloth!
If you’re new to yoga, I recommend this complete beginner’s yoga set.
Sana, Sana, Colita De Rana
…Si no sana hoy, sanar manana! I know feeling sick sucks (my mother absolutely, positively, hates that word by the way, ha!)! So when I start feeling sick and powerless over my body, I do yoga to help me take back my control, while loving on my sick body. I hope you do the same!
Wishing you healing, relief, and the ability to breath through your nose! Let me know how this sequence worked for you! I’ll use your feedback to create other intentional flows!
If you’ve ever considered health, wellness or life coaching to help you get back on track, pray on it. Pray on it and listen to what God says. Often times he’s already spoken His grace , you just have to get the grit and bring glory to your life! After all, He CLEARLY wants his daughters to thrive!
Schedule your complimentary Clarity & Connection Session with me HERE.
Sign up for more inspiration and resources here!
* indicates required